Shades of Ray

Shades of Ray is a 2008 independent romantic comedy starring Zachary Levi (from the tv series Chuck).

Plot:  Levi plays Ray, a half-Pakistani, half-white man feeling pressure from his parents to settle down and get married.  That is also precisely Ray's plan, and he proposes to his (white) girlfriend.  As he waits for her to give him an answer, he meets and rapidly begins to fall for a Pakistani/white woman who has fully embraced her mixed-race heritage in a way he never has.  This begins to challenge his identity and he struggles to figure out who he is and what he wants.  In a subplot, while Ray is trying to sort things out, his parents arrive to complicate matters.

My Take: I watched this movie purely for Zachary Levi.  I was pleased with his performance, as I think he is an excellent comedic actor.  However, the movie as a whole grabbed me.  Can you escape from who you really are? Do you do what society tells you should do, or do you become your own person? This movie is well worth a watch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I Have Never Forgotten You

Ken Burns' America: Empire Of The Air