Saint Ralph

Saint Ralph is a 2004 independent drama starring Adam Butcher and Campbell Scott.

Plot: Ralph is an unusually self-sufficient young man dealing with both the rigidity of life in a Catholic school in 1954, as well as his mother's illness.  When his mother falls into a coma, Ralph makes a deal with God: if Ralph can win the Boston Marathon, God will wake up his mom.  Can he really do it?





My take: If EVER there was a film more inappropriately described on Netflix, Saint Ralph is it.  It continually came up on my recommendations for months before I finally broke down and watched it.  First of all, it's a comedy.  Secondly, it sounds like a totally crazy idea...winning the Boston Marathon.  The way the movie builds it up, it's not.

This movie was a total surprise to me, and well worth a high recommendation.  I just wish Netflix would rewrite the description of the movie to more accurately reflect its spirit and content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I Have Never Forgotten You

Ken Burns' America: Empire Of The Air