Avatar: The Last Airbender Tv Show

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a 2005 American animated tv series originally shown on Nickelodeon.

Plot:  In this fantasy world, there are four tribal nations: Fire, Water, Air, and Earth.  Each nation's people are capable of controlling that particular element.  Having lived in peace for generations, the Fire Nation begins a war of total domination of the other nations.  There is one man who can stop this war and bring the world back into peace.  That man is the Avatar, the one person in the world capable of controlling all of the elements. However, that man is actually a young boy who just wants to have fun.  Destiny cannot be avoided, however, and he begins a journey to learn the skills needed to defeat the Fire Nation once and for all.

My Take:  This is one of my all-time favorite shows I have watched on Netflix.  It appears to be a show for kids, but clearly it is for anyone.  It is smart, with characters that are developed over the entire series and a story that is multi-layered and extremely satisfying.  It is funny, with moments where I laughed out loud several times in each episode.  It is ultimately emotionally uplifting, as it made me cry more than a few times.

If I had a rating system, I would rank this series at twice the highest rating I'd have.  You  must watch it in order.  Books 1,2, and 3 all have their separate plot lines, but the series builds with new characters and new developments in every episode.  The final four episodes bring it all together in one of the greatest final episodes of any tv show that I've seen.

*** Note: If you've seen the movie, forget all that you know.  The movie itself was terrible and didn't have the same heart and depth of the tv show.  I will NOT be reviewing the movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I Have Never Forgotten You

Ken Burns' America: Empire Of The Air